EFI is the representative organisation for biological/carbon farmers and growers around New Zealand.
• To catalyse the transition of New Zealand’s agricultural sector towards methods that foster beneficial ecological management practices.
• To raise the profile of biological agriculture through publicity events where scientists and farmers talk directly to farmers and consumers across NZ.
Soil Carbon Sequestration:
• International recognition for potential of agriculture to mitigate climate change through soil carbon sequestration (IPCC)
• Scientific fact that biologically active and healthy soils sequester GHG
Benefits of biological farming and soil carbon sequestration for New Zealand farmers:
• Offset impending cost of agricultural methane emissions
• Receive income for soil carbon credits on international voluntary carbon market
• Mitigate “carbon footprint” trade barriers
• Improved nutrient availability to plants and livestock
• Improved water quality through reduced nutrient and soil losses
• Improved drought resistance through increased water retention
• Greater productivity, better food quality and increased profitability